When is a death reported to the coroner?
A death will involve a coroner if:
- There is no doctor who can issue a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
- The deceased was not seen by the doctor issuing the medical certificate after death nor within 14 days before death
- The cause of death is unknown or is thought to be unnatural or suspicious.
- Death occurred during an operation or before recovery from an anaesthetic
- Death is due to industrial disease or industrial poisoning.
Once a death has been reported to the coroner, the registrar cant register the death until the coroner has decided whether any further investigation is necessary.