When we lose a loved one there is an expectation to write a eulogy or a speech in remembrance. However, another popular option for funeral ceremonies and memorials, is reading a poem.
Articulating the emotions of bereavement are difficult and a meaningful poem that captures the essence of both your loved one and family will become an important part of the memory.
Writing your own poem would be the most personal and meaningful option, however writing or searching for the perfect funeral poem can be difficult when experiencing bereavement. We have created a list of a range of poems that are popular for all types of funerals:
- Goodbye my Friend – Anon
- Do not stand at my grave and weep- Mary Frye
- If tomorrow starts without me- Anon
- Footprints- Mary Stevenson
- I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)- E.E. Cummings
- The Dash- Linda Ellis
- Remember Me- Anthony Dowson
- To Those I love- Isla Paschal Richardson
- You’ll Never Walk Alone- Oscar Hammerstein II
- After Glow- Helen Lowrie Marshall