Everyone has a song that means something to them. As the belief of what a funeral is has begun to change, the music we play at ceremonies is expanding to fit. Everyone has different taste and so the most requested songs range through a variety of genres.
The songs most requested don’t just include old favourites but also, new releases like See You Again-Wiz Khalifa and Hello-Adele.
Services also seem to be lightened with comic relief as popular choice Always Look on the Bright Side of Life- Monty Python finds itself at #8 in the overall most requested songs. The top 10 most requested rock songs even feature Highway to Hell and Another One Bites the Dust in 5th and 6th.
Large parts of life and personality are now being represented through the funeral music at ceremonies, as songs like the match of the day theme, Liverpool’s Gerry & the Pacemaker’s-You’ll never walk alone & Tottenham’s Glory Glory appear in the top 10 most requested sport songs.
The hymn The Lord is My Shepherd still sits in the top 5 representing classic and traditional funeral services. However, traditional options and hymns may be decreasing in popularity, with only three in the overall top ten.
The Overall Top Ten:
1. My Way – Frank Sinatra
2. Time to say goodbye – Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman
3. Over the rainbow – Eva Cassidy
4. Wind beneath my wings – Bette Midler
5. The lord is my shepherd
6. We’ll meet again – Vera Lynn
7. All things Bright and beautiful – Cecil Frances Alexander
8. Always look on the bright side of life – Monty Python
9. Abide with me – Henry Francis Lyte
10. Unforgettable – Nat King Cole